Vulcan maps eight divisions into four regions
- Published: Monday, 16 January 2012 13:06
- Written by CP Staff
The Vulcan Materials Co. board has approved a new structure for its aggregate, concrete, cement and asphalt operations, eliminating approximately 200 administrative positions and leaving plant staff largely unaffected. Management streamlining was in the works prior to the stock-for-stock merger Martin Marietta Materials proposed last month to Vulcan Materials shareholders.
The producer projects cost-savings upward of $30 million in a structure decentralizing management of sales, marketing and operating functions, but reflecting administrative efficiencies linked to legacy information technology and financial reporting system replacements. Vulcan Materials has named four senior vice presidents, all reporting to Executive Vice President, Construction Materials, Danny Shepherd:
- Michael Mills, East Region, Atlanta, comprising former Mideast and Southeast Divisions; formerly Southeast Division president.
- James Hill, South Region, Jacksonville, Fla., comprising former Florida Rock and Southwest Divisions, plus Yucatan quarry and related shipping assets; formerly Florida Rock Division president.
- Stanley Bass, Central Region, Birmingham, comprising former Midwest, Midsouth and Southern and Gulf Coast Divisions; formerly Midsouth and Southwest Division president.
- Alan Wessel, West Region, Los Angeles, encompassing the former Western Division, where he was president.
Chairman Don James calls the division consolidation “another important step in ongoing efforts to optimize operational efficiency and better position the company for improved performance.”